Vision Is A Sense That Enhances Our Lives And It Is Irreplaceable
Because of these reasons, eye health is essential. Vision is one of the most delicate systems in the human body, so any unusual symptoms or sensations should be brought to the attention of an eye care professional immediately to ensure proper treatment and continued function. The following common eye symptoms are few which may require a visit to and an examination by your eye care professional. Our sight and vision are important because:
- The most important organ of sense is our eyes, our vision. We perceive approximately 80% of all impressions using our sight. It is our eyes that best protect us from danger
- Keep us safe
- They allow us to connect with our surroundings
- Help maintain the sharpness of our minds
- Sight and vision are different entities.
- Sight is physical – it is a sensory experience in which light reflects off of shapes and objects and the eyes then
- Sight absorbs the visual elements of this world. Vision unveils a world that can exist. Sight reveals boundaries in our path. Vision sees beyond boundaries (Lexgillette).
- Your eyesight takes place in the eyes and vision takes place in the brain.
- Your eyes pick up a clear image (eyesight) and the brain (vision) can process, understand and analyze that image.
- Vision is how the brain filters the information delivered by the eyes.
A Mucus Discharge From The Cornea Or Conjunctiva (Eye Rheum)
Eye Rheum, also known as ‘sleep” in the eye matter, eye gunk, eye boogers, or eye discharge, A little sleep in the eyes upon waking is a normal function of the eye. It is your body’s mechanism for clearing the eyes of any bacteria or debris such as allergens or cosmetics. A change in your eye’s normal discharge (consistency, frequency, or amount) may indicate an eye infection that requires prompt treatment. Conjunctivitis (bacterial, viral, or allergic) is the condition most commonly associated with abnormal eye discharge.
Eye Discomfort In Bright Light (Photophobia)
Photophobia, sensitivity to light, is the sensitivity or intolerance to bright light. In mild cases, one might need to squint in bright light, but in serious cases of photophobia, the bright light causes severe pain in the eyes. Corneal abrasion, dry eyes, scleritis, conjunctivitis, encephalitis, meningitis, and subarachnoid hemorrhage all-cause photophobia. Some causes of photophobia are not considered serious medical problems, but sometimes this symptom accompanies conditions that are medical emergencies. Any instance of light sensitivity should be brought to the attention of an eye care professional.
- Gradually increase light exposure
- Get rid of fluorescent light bulbs, and be wary of LEDs too
- Fully open your window blinds (or close them altogether)
- Double-check your medications
- Wear sunglasses with polarization when outside
Floaters (Myodesopsias or Muscae Volitantes_in Latin it is flying flies)
Small spots, squiggly lines, strands, or ring-like objects which appear in the field of vision are called floaters. Especially apparent in bright environments, floaters are most often a benign annoyance. They are ocular trouble consisting of the emergence in the visual field of black or white-colored dots, spots, threads, or cobwebs of different shapes, that move with eye movements. However, they may appear in conjunction with more serious underlying conditions such as eye tumors, retinal detachment, vitreous hemorrhage, or a retinal tear.
Anyone experiencing floaters should seek treatment with an eye care professional. (All see Retinal Detachment is Section entitled “Diseases and Conditions of the Eye”). They are ocular trouble consisting of the emergence in the visual field of black or white-colored dots, spots, threads, or cobwebs of different shapes, that move with eye movements. It is important to see an eye doctor immediately if you start to notice a lot more floaters than you’ve experienced in the past. This could be a sign of a serious vision problem like a detached retina.
It is always important to visit your eye doctor yearly, or when you believe there are issues, to make sure that you protect this important sense. Contact us immediately if you are experiencing any of the issues listed above.